Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Using Merlot

I had used Merlot to search for OER materials, but prior to the CoLab, I had never tried to contribute to Merlot. I'm pleased to say that my first experience with uploading material (my textbook preview Prezi) was a success.

Setting up the member account was easy and the confirmation email did not take long to reach my inbox. Contributing material took several steps, but the process was not lengthy. The hardest part was deciding on an attribution for my presentation, but that is an ongoing internal debate and a topic for another post.

The main thing that I don't like about Merlot is it's interface. I find their website to be incredibly busy and dense. The scrolling text at the top of the home page is distracting, and there are too many links, tabs, etc. The iPad app is not much better - it also is very text-heavy, with almost no graphics. I'm glad to see that a website redesign is about to be released.

I also created a Connexions account, but I haven't tried to upload anything there yet. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment