Pages

Monday, February 03, 2014

My Open Math

Another great OER I've been using for my math classes is My Open Math. My Open Math just about does it all - course management, prebuilt math courses at several levels, the ability to customize courses or build courses from scratch, extensive problem banks - and it's all free.

Signing up for a teacher account is quick and easy, but does require verification by MOM. Once you've set up your account, you can create as many course sections as you'd like. You can base your course on template courses ranging from a 010-level arithmetic course up to 150 Calculus, with a number of course options in between. Or, you can start from scratch with a blank course. Template courses generally are set up as chapters or modules, and offer a variety of resources - textbook sections, video tutorials, problem sets, quizzes and tests. 

Assessments in MOM can be customized in numerous ways. Problem types are chosen from libraries and generated for each assessment. You can choose to have multiple copies of a problem generated, give students one or multiple attempts, control scoring and feedback, and set open/close dates for assessments. One of the things that I like best about MOM assessments is that students can complete them online or you can generate print copies (with up to three versions) and answer keys.

When I first started using MOM, I had students create accounts and join the classes I created. I used template classes, occasionally adding my own material to the course shells. Mainly, I used the online assessments to give students practice working math on the computer in preparation for the math placement test and the 2014 GED test. I referred students to the other materials as supplementary study materials. I also created a number of print version problem sets to use in class and for homework assignments.

This term, I'm essentially doing the same thing, but I've connected my MOM classes to Moodle, so students never have to log in to MOM. (There are basic instructions on this process in the help section of MOM, and videos on YouTube covering this - it's a bit of a tricky process, but once I figured it out, it didn't take long.) Once a week, we have computer lab time, and students log into Moodle, where they can access an assessment I've created to review concepts from previous weeks and practice concepts we're currently working on. I leave the assessments open and available to students for the remainder of the course so that they can go back and complete problems for review throughout the term. 

In the future, I may try to import and use an entire course template in Moodle. This would be an easy way to create some variety for students who repeat the course. In any case, I've found My Open Math to be an invaluable resource for my math classes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to MyOpenMath.
    After a student incorrectly answers a question, can the student
    see a step by step solution to that problem?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MyOpenMath is very dumb in not giving student step by step

    ReplyDelete