Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New Term, New Student Survey


Last term I created a Google Forms survey for my reading students so that I could assess their reading skill, comfort, and habits, and gather some basic information about their goals. Students accessed the survey through Moodle and completed it during the first week of classes. This worked well for me as an instructor, because I was able to quickly get a sense of who my students were as readers and gather information that helped me decide how to focus my class. For example, I learned that while I had some GED students in my class, the majority of those students planned to go on to take the LCC placement test. Knowing this, I was able to set up a term plan that included some GED-type questions, but a greater focus (especially at the end of the term) on Accuplacer practice.

The other thing that I really like about using the Google Form is that after the survey results are in, Google Drive can generate a graphic summary of the data.  I went over this with the class once everyone had completed the survey, and it lead to discussions about reading preferences, anxiety, and goals. Seeing the similarities and variations among the group was really valuable to students, who often have trouble seeing other students as a peer group and may not know how they fit in to the group.

This term, I'm teaching only math, and I wanted to collect similar information from my math students. I also had a second goal, which was to collect up-to-date contact information for students. To do this, I created a Google Form similar to the Reading Survey, but with questions about contact information and preferred means of contact. Students again accessed the survey through Moodle during the first week of class. Results for Google Forms compile in a Google Drive spreadsheet, so when all of the surveys were completed, I was able to assess the data and print out a contact list for my own records. I was then able to share some of the survey summary with my class (I took out data for the questions relating to contact information) so that we could discuss the range of previous experience, math anxiety, etc. in the class.

I imagine that I'll continue to adjust this survey over time, but I feel like I've created a useful tool that I can continue to use in my classes for many terms. If you'd like to see the survey in full, click here. If you'd like an editable copy of this form, email me and I will send you a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment