Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Sharing Resources and Knowledge: Google Docs

I'm fortunate to work with a group of colleagues who are all very interested in integrating technology into their classes, though each of them is at a slightly different place in terms of tech skill and comfort. Of our group of six, two of us have been working on the Dig Co-Lab project; the others know this (and one has now signed up - welcome Aliscia!) and are always curious about what we're learning and creating and how they can apply technology in their own classes. In order to help everyone along, I suggested that we add a half hour to our weekly staff meeting for technology sharing. I started things off with a session on Google Drive.

I chose to start with Google Drive because a couple of us had started extensively using the Google apps, and I thought that there were some classroom needs and staff communication needs that the Drive tools could address. I chose to focus on two things: the features of Google Drive documents, and using the Google Drive app on the iPad.

The feature of Drive documents that I think is most useful for communication with students and staff is the ability to share and edit documents - even in real time. It took only a few minutes to demonstrate, and people immediately began thinking of uses for this type of collaborative document. For students, Drive is great because the document is dynamic. Rather than uploading a static document to Moodle for students to access, for example, you can link the document to Moodle. That way, if you edit the document (say, from one term to the next) students will link to the most recent version of the document without the need to update any files in Moodle.  Also, students can be given sharing rights so that they can add to or edit the document, which opens many possibilities for group projects, collaborative writing, etc. Among staff, we've been creating meeting minutes in Drive - one person takes meeting minutes, then saves the document into a shared folder. During or after the meeting, others in the group can add to or edit the minutes. This takes pressure off the notetaker and requires no emailing or saving of notes.

What really makes Drive useful for the classroom or meeting is the ability to access documents from nearly any device, including the iPad via the Drive app. The app has it's limitations (you can open Presentations but not edit them; there are fewer formatting tools for documents and spreadsheets in the app, etc.), but for those of us who use iPads in the classroom, it's a great tool. I demonstrated how I create documents and presentations to use during my class - thanks to my iPad and Drive, I know longer use an overhead projector and rarely use my doc cam or classroom PC. I've heard a lot of complaints from other teachers about how finicky doc cams are, so everyone appreciated having an alternative method for projecting worksheets, diagrams, etc.

What I did not have time to demo in this first tech workshop was how I import my Drive presentation slides into an app that allows me to annotate the slides - that will have to wait for another day!




No comments:

Post a Comment